Sunday, July 29, 2012

This is hard work!


Man, I am just doing a horrible job at this blogging thing but in my defense this whole mom thing is tough work. I thought labor was hard. Also, for the last week I found out I had a bad infection so I have been in bed being a useless blob. I'm just now starting to feel a little better which is good because I have missed spending time with my little man. Rivers has been slowly but surely showing us who's boss in this household and it's not me or Stephen. We are doing our best to start putting him on a schedule but we are so bad at schedules ourselves, how do we expect to put our son on one? I think for the sake of our sanity, we will just have to figure it out. We have also been trying to figure out a good sleeping schedule and position. He LOVES to sleep while I hold him or on Stephen's chest, for his naps, but when it comes to sleeping in his crib, he isn't a fan of sleeping on his back. He enjoys sleeping on his side a little more and loves sleeping on his stomach but I'm so nervous when he's on his stomach that I feel like I can't leave the room and that I need to always be watching him. Doctors make you feel like stomach sleeping shouldn't even be an option but i've read from so many parents that their kids couldn't sleep on their back and that they loved to sleep on their stomach. I'm such a worry wort but this is my first kid, I feel like I can worry a little. 
Any Moms have any thoughts?

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. 

6 comments:

  1. Kamie was experiencing the same frustration as you with little jonathan. When he was 2 months old we were together at the FOT and I asked her to let me let him sleep on his tummy while she ran an errand. I promised I'd watch him! 4 hours later he finally woke up just as happy as can be because he hadn't kept startling himself awake. I talked to Dr. Langas about it and he told me that babies in Australia have almost zero risk of SIDS. They use what is called a "cot cover" (mattress cover that vents any fumes from mattresses to the bottom). (Google it!) We bought one for him and now all 3 babies have been happy, contented, healthy, strong-necked tummy sleepers! I'm betting that once Rivers gets the non-startled sleep he wants that he'll settle into a schedule of some sort. It's changes all the time anyway so I wouldn't fret too much about it. Hugs to the new mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. Treybig! I ordered one and it's on his mattress. I never even thought about what we inhale everyday. The knowledge about the fumes has really helped me relax a little now that we have a cover on his mattress. Thanks so much for sharing that with me :)

      Delete
  2. Kathy I have never heard of fumes, amazing. Anyways both of my boys slept on their bellies I just made sure that there was nothing that could get in front of little noses. You are right Stef parenting is very hard and at times frustrating but worth all of it. We had a hard time with Riley and you will figure out what works for you guys. We are not schedule people either but it seemed to work itself out. HA, as far as cribs Lydia still sleeps with us! I should probably fix that but I love having her so close :) It will all work out. Remember this too shall pass... and then you'll want it back ;) Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! It's getting a lot better. The first 3 weeks were pretty tough, especially since I got that infection. It's getting a lot better now :)

      Delete
  3. Ryder slept on his stomach from the time he was about 2 weeks old. I started out only letting him nap on his tummy, when i could check on him, but then i could tell he was fine and i started letting sleep like that at night. sorry about the infection, my parents mentioned it to me and i sympathize. don't think of it so much as a schedule as a routine. things don't have to be hard and fast but a general routine helps babies and they fall into them really well. whatever works for you is the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely noticed Rivers loves his "getting ready for nighttime" routine. We are getting the hang of this more and more everyday. He likes sleeping on his stomach but he has recently started sleeping on his side too. I can't believe your little one is 1 yr old already! Crazy how time flies!.

      Delete